This is me opening my door to the rest of the world, so you can follow along on my little clothing design project.

And if you learn one thing only from reading my blog, I hope it is this:

Step one:
Remove the shoulder pads.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

while shopping the bra racks at Goodwil...

I found this one at Goodwill one day during lunch with my friend Lauren. I noticed it peeking out behind row of old lady bras on the "gently used" lingerie rack...ha I know, some things are NOT meant to be used by more than one person. So I am pretty positive that this used to be a nightgown. Whatever its purpose in a previous life, it is now about to be my new dress.
Here is the part of this story where I almost ruined a great thing. So once I got it home I knew I needed to wash it first. Since I was still struggling to remove the smells out of a few other pieces, I figured I would consult google as to what to do. Google tells me to soak in water with dish soap then rinse in vinegar water. Sometimes my common sense decides to takes the day off and that is when I put all four dresses into the water to soak, bright red dress included. Several hours later when I go for the "rinse in vinegar" step, I realize that my used to be cream night gown is now tie dyed pink. Since I am a hippie at heart my first thought is "ya cool, I guess it'll be a tie dye dress". Then my common sense comes back and "what have I done... this was going to be perfect!" Ok, hate myself for 30 seconds, now time for action.
Usually a bad choice but once in a great while pulls through for you. This time, it pulled through, so now I have my pretty cream night gown back. whew!

I knew this would be very easy to convert because it was already really pretty as it was... just a little too night gown-ish. Nothing that can't be solved by taking some scissors and hacking the dress in half. There was a small tear in the side by the lacey sleeve, but I just sewed it a little and you could never tell. Here is the finished product.